Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Stop Hirsh Bros. Jewelers through May 24 for discounts on jewelry and display pieces.
Hirsh Bros. Jewelers' "first sale in history" is also its last--the store's owners are holding a retirement sale before they close on May 25. The jewelry store at 1609 Gravois Rd. has been in business in the St. Louis area for more than 40 years. All merchandise, including jewelry displays and other fixtures, is marked up to 70 percent off, with additional in-store discounts, according to the store's sale flyer. The store will remain open during regular business hours this week, and will close for good Friday, May 24 at 6 p.m. The store is open 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Hirsh is not the only business getting ready to close shop. The Big K at 4560 Gravois Village Ctr. began liquidating its merchandise last month. The store is scheduled to close in…
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
The man stole an autographed jersey and electronics, and also sold stolen gold, Edward Jones insignia jewelry.
A High Ridge man burglarized a Wildwood home in early December and also pawned gold Edward Jones jewelry, St. Louis County Police said. James S. Bright, 25, of the 6200 block of Sunshine Drive in High Ridge, was charged Saturday with second-degree burglary, felony theft and receiving stolen property. St. Louis County Police said Bright broke into a home in the 500 block of Nantucket Pointe Drive in Wildwood between 7:30 a.m. and 5:45 p.m. Dec. 7. According to the police report, he stole an autographed sports jersey, 46-inch flat-screen TV and an iMac computer monitor. Bright also is charged with selling a gold Edward Jones insignia ring with diamonds, a gold wedding ring and an Edward Jones anniversary gold pin on Dec. 8. He was captured …
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
St. Louis County Police said they caught the man a short time later with jewelry stolen from the home.
- POLICE & FIRE
- Joe Scott
Tuesday, October 23, 2012
A West County resident arrived home about 1:43 a.m. Oct. 12 to see a burglar running out a back door in home in the 300 block of Messina Drive. St. Louis County Police said they caught the man a short distance away, with four pieces of jewelry from the home in Sorrento Springs Estates just south of Ballwin. Christopher Purtle, 32, of the 2100 block of Boxwood Lane in High Ridge, was charged Oct. 13 with first-degree burglary, misdemeanor stealing and possession of drug-related items. Police said Purtle stole three rings and a necklace from the home, and that he had hypodermic needles when he was arrested. Purtle is being held in St. Louis County jail in lieu of a $30,000 bond. For more crime information on Fenton-High Ridge Patch, see the …
Wednesday, September 21, 2011
Chuck Sturdy’s pawn shop is one of the oldest in St. Louis County.
Fenton Pawn Shop and Jewelry has been around since 1979, and despite what you’ve heard, owner Chuck Sturdy really doesn’t want your stuff. “We make small loans on things of value,” he explained. “We charge 10 percent, but after 90 days you forfeit your property.” He said that 80 percent of his pawn customers come back for their goods. The remaining 20 percent of pawned items left behind can still pile up. Sturdy sells these items at a fraction of their retail price—enough to give him a profit over the original loan, but cheap enough to make sure the items find buyers quickly so he can recoup his investment. For example, a customer came in with a digital camera to pawn, asking for a $40 loan. Sturdy’s 10 percent interest rate equals $4 a …