As our loved ones age, their joints may become painful and inflamed, due to the wearing away of cartilage covering the bone. Arthritis can become debilitating, so it is essential to stay involved your senior loved one’s doctor in the treatment process.
There are several things that a care giver can do to assist a senior loved one with arthritis treatment:
- Accompany your loved one to their doctor’s appointment so that you understand their treatment plan.
- Help monitor medication and request easy to open medication bottles.
- Consult with your senior loved one’s doctor or a physical therapist to find out if therapeutic exercise may help relieve pain.
- Help your senior loved one understand that heavy lifting and excessive activity may increase inflammation and pain.
- Consult with an occupational therapist to ensure that your senior loved ones home is arranged in a way to allow them to access needed items without assistance.
If your senior loved one is struggling with debilitating arthritis and needs care during the day, an adult day care may be a great fit. Bon Vivant Adult Day Club is the premier adult day care provider located in Fenton, MO. Our mission at Bon Vivant Adult Day Club is to ensure our members enjoy Good Living Longer. We are licensed by the State of Missouri and welcome the opportunity to meet with you and your loved one to answer any questions you have about adult day care. Please feel free to visit our website at www.goodlivinglonger.com or call us at 636-343-1600.
Article by Beverly McKee, MSW, LCSW