Trash Fire in Student Restroom Causes Brief Evacuation of Rockwood South Middle School
Students waited on buses outside until clearance was given by the Fenton Fire Protection District.
There was a bit of a diversion for students at Rockwood South Middle School Friday morning as a trash can fire caused a precautionary evacuation of the school at 1628 Hawkins Road, Fenton.
According to an email letter sent to parents by principal Linda Miller, a staff member discovered a small fire about 9:15 a.m. in a trash can in a student bathroom. The fire was quickly extinguished, she said in the letter, adding "The school’s fire alarm sounded, and we immediately evacuated the building as the Fenton Fire Department responded to the alarm."
Miller said students waited on school buses until fire safety officials provided clearance for them to return to class. She said student lunch periods were shifted to an earlier time so students were able to have lunch prior to an early school dismissal to accommodate a scheduled teacher professional development session.
"I’d like to commend our students and staff on their appropriate and swift response to this situation," Miller said in the parent letter. "I am proud of their conduct this morning."