Six Silent Steeples on Local Churches
Patch presents a handful of elegant steeples to ponder this Thanksgiving week.
Ever wonder why churches have steeples?
The most practical answer is that church steeples act as an old-fashioned sign post, clearly marking the location of a church from miles away. Ancient tradition also required churches to use the steeple’s bell tower to alert worshipers that it was time for services back before everyone had access to portable timepieces.
Now, steeples are mainly an expensive throwback to tradition. We keep track of time digitally on an assortment of gadgets in our homes, cars and pockets—and if we need to find a church we Google it or turn on the GPS.
Fenton and High Ridge may lack the historic depth of older cities with their cathedral inspired churches, but it does not lack for church steeples. Here’s a few simple steeples from the area that do their jobs admirably.
First Baptist Church of Murphy: This church dates to 1961 and was built with a traditional bell tower. Unfortunately, construction workers forgot to replace the bell rope during a recent remodeling.
Solid Rock United Pentecostal Church: The newest building on the list, Solid Rock was built in 1997, though the ministry dates back to 1957 when it operated out of a store front in south St. Louis. Their steeple is a decorativee part of the church's bold architecture.
First Baptist Church of Fenton: This church was built in the mid 1950's with a lighted steeple, but no bell. However, you're free to come by and listen to the handbell choir.
Our Savior Lurtheran Church: This church is capped with a delicate spire. Members of this church first started meeting in 1961 at the Fenton Public School and the church structure was finished in 1965.
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints: Mormon churches do not tradionally have chimes or bells in their steeples, as they favor a quiet and peaceful presence in their communities.
St. Paul Catholic Church: One of the oldest churches in Fenton, St. Paul goes back to 1879. The "new" church was dedicated in 1984 and has a modern steeple without a belltower.